Matt Look Deck
Stylish Natural Matt Look
GET A NATURAL, MATT LOOK FINISH
It's all about a matt finish in homewares and styling this season and decking is no exception!
Matt Look Deck provides a natural, lower sheen finish that weathers naturally over time.
Matt Look Deck is a water based modified oil, so it's fast drying, has low odour and all application equipment can be cleaned up with water. It's ideal for all exterior timber, especially decking.
HANDY HINT: YOU CAN CHANGE FROM YOUR EXISTING COATING TO GET A MATT LOOK ON YOUR TIMBER!
See directions for 'previously coated timber' under 'preparation' below.
TIP: FOR BEST RESULTS, PREPARE YOUR TIMBER WITH FEAST WATSON WOODCLEAN.
Feast Watson Woodclean prepares timber for coating by removing dirt, oils, mould, tannins and other contaminants that may interfere with your ability to achieve a lower sheen look.
• Bare timber will need to weather in order for leaching of the tannins and oils to occur.
• Allow new Treated Pine to weather for 2 weeks prior to application or follow timber manufacturer’s recommendation.
• Allow other timbers to weather for approximately 4-6 weeks. We recommend that tannin rich timbers are regularly hosed with water to assist leaching during this time. Weathering periods are provided as a guide only, consult your timber supplier to ensure you correctly prepare your timber for your particular requirements.
• To coat new timber immediately, use Intergrain® PowerPrep™, followed by Feast Watson WOODCLEAN™, closely following both label instructions.
• Prepare weathered or grey timber by cleaning thoroughly with WOODCLEAN as per the instructions.
• Sanding may be required to remove stains and restore deteriorated surfaces. Remove all sanding
dust before coating.
HOW TO CHANGE FROM YOUR EXISTING COATING TO MATT LOOK DECK
Previously Coated Timber
• Timber coated with stain or oil can be coated with MATT LOOK DECK after the surface has weathered. Test if the surface is ready by sprinkling water onto the timber: if the water absorbs into the timber it is suitable for coating. If the water beads, further weathering, sanding or stripping is required.
• Painted or varnished surfaces need to be taken back to bare timber by stripping or sanding.
• Prepare timber for coating with WOODCLEAN as per the instructions.
• Allow the timber to dry completely before applying MATT LOOK DECK.
• MATT LOOK DECK should be stirred thoroughly before and during application with a flat blade stirrer taking care not to introduce bubbles.
• If the job requires more than one can of oil, mix both cans together in one large container prior to commencing.
• Do NOT apply with a roller.
• Apply one coat of MATT LOOK DECK using a quality synthetic or pure bristle brush or lambswool applicator.
• Work along 3-4 planks at a time, in the direction of the grain. Ensure edges and end grain are fully coated. Maintain a wet edge at all times.
• Do not over brush or apply thinly, as insufficient film thickness will compromise performance and durability.
• Allow to dry for 4 hours.
• Apply a second coat as above.
• A third coat of MATT LOOK DECK may be required in extreme conditions such as full sun exposure, around pools and in humid areas, and may be required on porous timbers.
• Allow to dry for 12 hours before light foot traffic.
• Do NOT apply in temperatures under 10°C or above 35°C or when rain or heavy dew is expected within the coating dry time.
• MATT LOOK DECK does NOT require thinning.
• Drying times are given at 25°C and 50% relative humidity. Lower temperatures or higher humidity can lead to extended drying times.
• Touch Dry: 2 hours.
• Recoat: Allow a minimum of 4 hours drying between coats. Decking can be walked on with care after 12 hours. Full curing 7 days.
• Clean brushes and other equipment using water.
• Regularly monitor coated timber for signs of colour loss, dryness and weathering. Recoat the timber when it begins to show signs of dryness to help maintain its natural beauty and protection.
• When required, clean the surface using WOODCLEAN, allow the surface to dry and recoat with one coat of MATT LOOK DECK.